Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What Does God Do With His Spare Time

I find that most of my conversation with God is me praying for me, me praying for my friends, me praying for my ministry...

That is a lot of me. Too much.

Oh don't get me wrong. I do recognize God, glorify God and praise God. I find songs repeating in my mind all day long. This ends up as me singing one part of the song over and over... (I'm one of those people who can hear a song 1 million and three times only to remember the line, "U can't touch this.") I digress. Or I did. Let me move on.

On weekends, I join with a congregation and shout out songs of worship to God. I sing at home. I recognize him through creation. But from the beginning to the end of my daily hours I still log many, many more MEs than anything else.

So last night I talked to God about this. I was thinking of bits of scripture, conversations with others, past reflections, etc. etc. I had what seemed like an epiphany to me...

What if I related with any other relationship like I relate with God?

Hey John! Want to give me some more stuff? Want to help me? Will you talk to my superiors to give me more money? Will you go talk to my family for me? And do something about this stomachache while you are at it?

Or what if instead of conversing with my wife I only sang repetitive lines of love...

"Oh Taylor how you look so beautiful... Ooh ooh. I want be closer to you, come closer to me... Oh you are so wonderful, so WONDERful, so WonDerFuL... You are so wonderFUL oh you are and I want to know you Taylor. Open my eyes to see you, blessed be your name Taylor..."

While that would be a beautiful song, if that is all I ever did to communicate with my wife and get to know her then we would have a lot to talk about in future marriage counseling.

So there I was thinking about this last night. I started to ask questions that we ask of those we want to know. God what do you like to do? What is your favorite thing to watch? What are you up to right now that is fun? Do you ever wish you could just get away from work?

BAM. He showed up looking like Morgan Freeman answering all my questions.

Nope. It was quiet. I implored him to answer. I tried to manipulate him into verbally responding. I tried and I failed.

Quiet.

My mind starting turning. My friend Claudia loves to paint flowers over and over and over and over again. She doesn't get tired. My friend Brandon plays with his girls and just loves entertaining them. My friend David goes on hikes all the time, exploring places outside of my physical condition and stamina.

I bet God just loves to paint and create. He takes joy in recreating flowers since the beginning of time. I bet He personally composes sunsets all around the world. He doesn't just let it go automatic. He dreams it, gathers the colors, shifts the elements and then waits for His friends to take notice.

I guarantee, all money back, that God loves to play with His kids. Take for example my silly story of asking questions. It is just like my little nieces asking me if I am ticklish every minute so they can make me laugh. I'm not ticklish. But I go along with it and have fun with the little kids. I think God is the perfect Father who just loves to play and interact and watch his kids.

I think God is an adventure guide. Every year thousands of people climb ridiculous ridges. Every day millions of people do daring stunts. Why? God guides us to go on adventures. Good guides loves seeing the ecstasy of their group. And God loves seeing ours.

I realize all this anecdotal and conjecture. So, I'm going to read my Bible to see what God reveals of Himself, but I'm not leaving my imagination behind. I'm bringing all silly questions with me and maybe, just maybe it will become less about me and more about HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment