Monday, July 11, 2011

Seeing Reason to Laugh

I love laughing with my wife. This morning we stood in front of the washer and dryer hugging each other. The tender moment with the romantic surrounding soon gave way to spontaneous outbursts of laughter. Laughter over nothing, over everything... just plain laughter.

I think God laughed when he made laughter.

L A U G H T E R
It's such a weird word. I roll it around my mind and a smile comes to my lips. Laughter.

What is it that doctors say? Laughter is the best medicine. It literally brings health into the body. It changes our natural chemistry. It reinforces the function of vitamin D. The doctors say that kind of stuff. I don't know. I'm not a doctor and I'm not about to research it, that would turn my reflection into work. There is a time for that, but right now I'm thinking about my dog...

This morning my 6 month old small puppy dog jumped onto my ottoman. He tackled the blanket resting precariously on top. He tore into the blanket with his paws, attempting to make it a better bed. As he worked, the blanket edged to the edge of the foot rester. Slowly the blanket cascade off of the ottoman. Then the trickle reached a full fledge flow of motion. Little Indiana found himself running on top of a blanket that was running out of room. Picture a treadmill that runs out of tread. That is what happened. In the end, the puppy fell off and then onto the fluffy pile of blanket.

I laughed.

I think God laughed.

Oh, and I laughed AT the puppy. Not with him. He just got up and went to eat (he's a chubby little b). The humor escaped him. But it didn't miss me.

I think God laughs at us at times. Not when it is a serious matter. Neither does he cause misfortune to come our way. But think of all those times when we act so foolish and get ourselves in deep matter. I think He laughs as I laughed for my little buddy. Maybe we need to laugh too.

Maybe I take myself far to seriously.

Maybe laughter is the best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment