Friday, July 15, 2011

I Like Music that Moves Me

Last night Taylor and I sat at our computer skipping through music. We landed on Paul Potts. Since Taylor hadn't heard of Mr. Potts, I clicked on YouTube and in moments we were part of his virtual audience when he auditioned for Britains Got Talent.

Paul, the mobile salesman who studied opera, shows up for an audition in front of Simon Cowell and other judges. Simon asks him what he desires to do. "Sing Opera." Simon's ever sinister eyebrows arch up. Doubt floods the entire room. The audience slightly scoffs. Simon signals Paul to get on with it. Music cues. The orchestra track begins. And Paul starts singing.

Just recalling it sets my skin to reacting. Little bumps across my arms.

As Paul Potts sings, the audience spontaneously dives into the flood of emotions coming from the stage. Doubt is caught up, overpowered and overcome. The audience stands, judges look ridiculous with surprise, the crowd cries and hands hitting against hands creates a thunderous roar.

Just writing this makes me feel like I was there.

When he sang, the music moved me. I didn't know the words. I wasn't familiar with the meaning. I hadn't pumped myself up. It just hit me.

Why? How is this possible? Has this happened to you?

Now, I will die within the next 60 years. My body will be buried. My insurance will be distributed. My possessions will be sold for a few bucks at an estate sale. Over time memories of me will dissipate. To some this seems sad.

To me... I will be moving. I will be so caught up in angelic voices and eternal choirs filled with saints who sing like Paul Potts. Their songs will fill the air, resonate throughout God's realm and flood my soul with awe, reverence and love. Because, on the other side of this life I have accepted God's invitation. While my body grows cold, I will just be warming up to the excitement, the music and the party on the other side. As the party picks up speed and I greet the people gone on before me, the host will come out. Instantly all movement will be stilled. Jesus will be standing there looking at me. This is the homecoming party He has thrown for this petty little person. This time He will be moving, coming towards me like an all consuming flood. My emotions, my doubts, my fear, my awe buried by His embrace.

The party will continue. I don't know what it will all entail. But at some point we will sing a song to the savior from our sins, the one who made reunion with our creator possible. That song will be the most moving of all. We will cry, we will stand to our feet, we will applaud until our hands hurt, we will be surprised, we will have all of this and more... someday.

Until then... I will choose music that moves me and enjoy a little prelude to my destiny,

No comments:

Post a Comment